Increasing Your Home’s Value
When you’re preparing your house for sale, remember the importance of first impressions. The market isn’t the only factor that influences whether you get your asking price. Appearance and overall condition play a major role. Here are some easy things you can do to make your home more appealing to buyers.
It is estimated that more than half of all houses are sold before the buyers even get out of their cars. So stand across the street from your house and review its curb appeal.
· Sweep front walkway.
· Remove newspapers, bikes and toys.
· Park extra cars away from the property.
· Trim back the shrubs.
· Apply fresh, clean paint throughout.
· Clean windows and window coverings throughout.
· Keep plumbing and all appliances in working order.
· Maintain all sealants (window, tub, shower, sink, etc.) in good condition.
· Make sure roof and gutters are in good condition; no repairs needed.
· Mow the lawn more frequently and plant flowers.
· Keep pet areas clean.
· De-clutter, De-clutter, De-clutter: Clutter and “stuff” are the enemy of successful home sales. The potential buyer often can’t see past personal touches, clutter, or “stuff”. Remember, buyers aren’t interested in “your” home. They are interested in buying “their” home!
· Kitchen and bathroom should shine..
· Quick once-over with the vacuum; carpets should be clean.
· Place fresh flowers in the main rooms.
· Put dishes away, unless setting a formal display for decoration.
· Make beds and put all clothes away.
· Open drapes and turn on lights for a brighter feel.
· Straighten closets.
· Put toys away.
· Turn off television.
· Play soft music on the radio/stereo.
· Keep pets out of the way and pet areas clean and odour-free.
· Secure jewellery, cash, prescription medication and other valuables.
· Put away or store all personal pictures and “knick-knacks”..
· Enhance the spaciousness of each room. Pack away collectables to allow buyer to envision own furnishings in home.
· Potential buyers usually feel more comfortable if the owners are not present.
· If people unaccompanied by an agent request to see your property, please refer them to your real estate professional for an appointment.
· If a REALTOR® asks to see your home, always refer them to the listing agent, so your agent can follow up with them.
· Leave a number where you can be reached if you are leaving town, even for a weekend.
· In this very competitive home market, it’s often a good idea to enlist a professional whose business it is to give your propertythose extra touches that will generate a faster sale, fewer interruptions to show your home, and ultimatley more cash in your pocket. Sometimes this can be the difference that enables your home to sell while others around you languish on the market. We will be pleased to assist youin finding a Home Staging professional to assist you in getting the most out of your property.